Available in my Etsy Shop (an open edition, with variation between each hand pulled print)
If you’d like to see more process shots on making collagraphs, search this blog for “collagraph”, and see previous posts like this one, this one and this one. 🙂 #makesomething
|Building a collagraph like this starts with a piece of scrap matboard,|
with a drawing on the reverse side, coated front and back
with Liquitex Gloss Medium & Varnish.
|After sealing my drawing with the liquitex, I added texture with|
shapes punched from newsprint and adhered with more varnish (nice & thin).
I hammered an awl into the matboard to create those teeny dots to hold ink.
|Using the a la poupee method, with Akua Intaglio Inks, I applied pigments to the plate|
in sections, pushing ink into the grooves and textures I built on the plate.
|After wiping the plate with newsprint, I added a little more pigment to the plate|
around her scales and hair with a bristle brush, but when I printed, the inks were a bit
splotchy, so I tried again, without adding more ink (below).
|On this proof, I added Akua Intaglio metallic gold ink mixed with a bit|
of green to her fish scales, but the trip through the etching press squished the metal flakes
against the plate and never adhered to the paper, so I have more experimenting to do.
I’m in touch with the good folks at Akua and they’ve made a few suggestions.
|To save the step of re-applying ink to her hair after wiping the plate,|
I added 120 grit carborundum (sand paper grit) mixed with medium. This will act like
thousands of little teeth to hold ink, resulting in rich darks.
|Even after wiping the plate, the texture of the carborundum held enough|
ink to print a nice, rich dark. I love this stuff.
It chews up your tarlatan cloth, but it does the trick.
Here’s a video tutorial for making a line-style collagraph from matboard: