Mar

Watercolor Sketch – Hide and Seek (and artsy links for you)

a watercolor of flowers by a window and part of a neighboring house by belinda delpesco

Hide and Seek, 6×8 inch watercolor sketch (available here)

Indulge in Brevity

I’m much obliged this week so this is brief; I have two great links for you, and a reminder.  Oh, and a question. And a watercolor sketch (above) of a corner in my kitchen with alstroemeria in the sunshine, and my neighbor’s adorable little red house playing hide and seek with the flowers around the window-frame.

An ipad with a reference photo, a 6x8 inch watercolor sketch in early layers, a travel palette of watercolors, a rinse cup and a paint brush

Using a snapshot stored on my ipad as fodder for a quick sketch on the kitchen counter after dinner

Press the Refresh Button

Okay, so we’re in March already, and by now, resolutions for your increased creative output this year may have been rolled over to next week and next month by encroaching events on the calendar. Capiche? I feel your pain(t). But really, let’s yank that goal back into focus, because it’s important. And it’s not too late. Textile artist Joseph Pitcher has written tips to start your engine, and the message is spot on. If you need a dose of Refresh on your creative endeavor plans, read this.

A watercolor sketch on a kitchen counter next to a small travel palette, a rinse cup for the paint, a brush and an empty glass of wine

Being careful not to confuse the rinse water with the glass of wine.

Feast Your Eyes

If you enjoy classical realism, and you’re interested in the art emerging from new painters around the world, the Art Renewal Center is a place to browse. Their annual Salon is a Who’s Who of exceptional artists, and this year, they featured a People’s Choice Award for the first time. Have a look at some of the contenders, in an assortment of categories (sculpture, landscape, drawing, imaginative realism, portraits, etc.) to keep your eyes on the pulse of trends in realism today, and be inspired. Check out the links on the left sidebar on the site; over 3700 entries from 69 countries submitted this year, and those accepted in the Salon are worth perusing.

how to title your art

Reminder

The discount on my new online course How to Title Your Art ends today, Monday, March 5th, so take advantage of the reduced price if you need a works-every-time system for titling your art. (Thanks to everyone who took the class and sent me glowing feedback!) Click the graphic above to visit the page, and lets generate some amazing titles to enhance your work.

A Question

If you paint with watercolor, would a mini course on watercolor paper be helpful to you? How about an intro to watercolor supplies – as in all about paint and brushes? I want to design bite-sized courses that solve problems and propel my friends to making better art, more frequently and with a deeper sense of joy in the process. Your feedback is invaluable as I work towards that goal, and I thank you for taking the time to share your ideas and insight in the comments. You rock. 💞

Thanks for visiting today, and I’ll see you in the next post,

Click the rinse water to get a free download all about watercolor paper

10 Responses to Watercolor Sketch – Hide and Seek (and artsy links for you)

1. maryliztippinmoody March 9, 2018 at 6:01 am #

Dear Belinda –
    I am a rather recent subscriber and your blog posts have energized me in a wonderful way! I am teaching a workshop with a group of retirement aged adults and share your blog with them. We explore all types of drawing and water-based media, using a sketchbook as the core and then explorations on other surfaces. I am amazed how adults regain their childlike wonder when learning the basics of drawing, painting and printmaking – and then the freedom and healing energy of blending processes to create! An entry on watercolor paper types, hints and so forth would be great: blocks, wetting the paper, to mount/ tape down or not, etc. Thank you, in advance and keep up the great work! You are wonderful!

• Belinda DelPesco March 9, 2018 at 10:17 am #

Hi Mary! Welcome, and huge thanks for your lovely compliments, and your excellent feedback! High five to you for mentoring adults back to the joy of making things with their hands! What a wonderful and rewarding stewardship; I bet the attendees of your class are bright with the smile-of-discovery after they get art supplies moving with your guidance. Bravo to you! I really appreciate your time to relay wishes on future online class curriculum. I’ve entered your watercolor paper primer on the list. In the meantime, have you downloaded the three-page watercolor paper intro (free) I posted? Click here for it.

2. Belinda Del Pesco March 8, 2018 at 10:48 am #

Hi Barbara, Lets link arms and race towards our mutual goals! On your mark, get set…. 🙂 xoxo

3. Barbara Muir March 6, 2018 at 10:40 pm #

Hi dear Belinda, we are on the same page — the year and events picking up, and needing to stick with it.
    I love your painting and your super advice.

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

4. worldofdifferenceartblog March 5, 2018 at 1:49 pm #

Hi Belinda I went through the whole web site of the ARC and awards, did not see 1 watercolor it’s most disappionting how often you see this are we a dying breed, I dislike both oils and acrylics I’m watercolorist/printmaker always love your work

• Belinda DelPesco March 5, 2018 at 10:02 pm #

Hi Margaret, There are watercolors, but not many. The ARC’s mission is here: https://www.artrenewal.org/AboutUs/MissionStatement and there is no mention of, or evidence toward a media-bias. Skill and style, but not media. Perhaps the issue is with us? How many watercolorists working in classical realism are submitting work to ARC? I know of 2-4, but no more, even though I know of many whose work would fit in nicely. What do you think the issue is?

5. Dorothy Siclare March 5, 2018 at 1:10 pm #

Today I finally picked up my brushes after 18 months, poured out a pallet of paints and attempted to get my engine going. As a little background: I moved 10 months ago. Not where I wanted to be but where I needed to be financially! Away from my children and new grandchildren ( 6 month and 19 month baby boys). First the selling of the house, then the packing. Since then I have not had the desire to do anything resembling art. I was an everyday in my studio kind of artist for 14 years. A member of 5 organizations, always taking classes just immersed in it. We need the extra income but I am stumped as to what I want to paint. Inspiration hasn’t knocked at this new door yet. ! Any suggestions Belinda. BTW your work is fabulous.

• Belinda DelPesco March 5, 2018 at 10:31 pm #

Hi Dorothy, I moved twice since becoming a full time artist, and it was more challenging than I ever expected, both times. I’m sending you an understanding head nod, with an Uh-huhmm. You know that first morning in a new house, standing in the kitchen, intending to make a cup of coffee, and you have no idea where the filters are? And did anyone unpack the mugs? And did we have the gas to the stove connected? By the time you get to the third unknown, you throw in the towel and go to Starbucks.
      I feel like painting in a new studio requires a little forced time at the art-table on a regular basis at the start. The muscle memory of where your stuff is, and the best light during the day, and where you sit or stand to work has to be established. If art-making is a refuge for you, but your new space hasn’t been broken in yet – all time there will be an exercise in search & rescue of where everything got stored, with little room for deep creating. If you’ve already tried forcing yourself to work, how about hosting a once a week art session with a handful of like minded friends?

6. Nancy Quinlan March 5, 2018 at 12:09 pm #

Hi , I have been struggling with a “watercolour version” of trees and shrubs – I am always too detailed; too realistic. I really like the simplicity in this one.

• Belinda DelPesco March 5, 2018 at 10:07 pm #

Hi Nancy,
      I have my hand up if you’re taking attendance for the watercolor foliage noodlers. Picture my left hand gripping my right hand, ardently pulling the brush away from the greens to save the pigments from my urge to fuss with them. Yep… that’s me. But I shall endeavor to get better at leaving the pigments to swim on their own, without my prodding. High five to you to match our efforts. 🙂

C'mon, Write something.... we'll wax poetic about art & making things!