Sep

Monotype: Winter Geraniums (when art is inspired by family photos)

wintergeraniums18x2472

Winter Geraniums 18 x 24 monotype with pastel (sold)

Do you Paint from Family Photos?

The reference photo for the monotype above was snapped in the mid 1970’s, in my dad’s childhood home in rural Connecticut. My grandparents bought and renovated the house in 1944, after it had lived a full life as Old Meadowbrook Farm – a Country Inn and gladiola farm since the late 1800’s. If you’re unfamiliar with monotype printmaking, there are many posts on this blog featuring monotypes in process (click here to see a few posts).  You can also watch monotypes being made on my youtube channel. Gather your supplies and lets make something, shall we?

Building a light field monotype

This monotype, in it’s beginnings on my studio desk, with my reference photo on the right. The image was drawn in water-soluble crayon on a sheet or prepared plexiglass, and printmaking inks were painted in layers on the plexi.

Images are Already Familiar

The view of rolling green hills dented with a thumb-print of a pond, and the pool where I learned how to swim are still visible after all these years. (I’ve zoomed in and sighed relief while searching on google maps.) The main floor and upstairs were made from creaky, wide plank wood floorboards, with square-head nails. (Try as we might, it was impossible to sneak up on anyone at Nana’s house.)

One of the fireplace openings in my grandparent’s dining room, with beer steins, carvings, art and family photos.

A massive stone fireplace in the center of the house featured grouper-mouth openings in five rooms, upstairs and downstairs.  Potted geraniums – normally squinting in the sun by the pool – were pulled into the sunporch to hide from New England snow. I used to water the plants in the winter while my grandparents stayed in Florida. The smell of geraniums still takes me back to this sunporch.

AndrewandMae

My grandparents, circa 1928

Harvest the Good Stuff

Like a lot of people,there are chapters of my childhood that are best forgotten, but my grandparent’s house at Old Meadowbrook was a respite.  The circular driveway rotated with gathered friends & family, pulling chairs up to hearty, Italian meals, while being entertained by visiting cousins, dogs, birds and rival siblings. We watched over my grandfather’s shoulder while he whittled figures from wood, or assembled mechanical contraptions on the kitchen table from his machine shop next door.

nightumbrella

Back yard fire-pit gatherings with beer & cigars at my grandparent’s house in the 1950’s

Memory Aerobics

light field monotype printmaking

After a trip through the press, pulling the monotype from the plate with the ink transferred to the paper.

The mind swells with wonderful memories while painting from family photos. The time to reflect is heart-felt and the recollections are solid enough to lean your whole weight against, even in vaguely recalled sensations. If the photos were taken before your time, there’s enough genetic recognition in the facial structure, carriage and environs to provide your inspiration Go-button with familiar, pre-studied painting subjects.  Each photo holds clues about your family’s beginnings & their youth, and the leap frog nature of family resemblance is always entertaining.

Click the kitty to sign up to be notified when this course is open. It’s going to change the way you think about naming your artwork. (The course is live! Check out the particulars here, and watch the intro video. )

Lighten Your Grip, Francis

The added benefit in the art-making is this; there is just enough of the creative mind occupied with remembrance & family history to free the poor hand from straining with decisions related to painting things in or out, and mixing color & values.  Pre-occupied mark-making is less stressed & more fluid. You can blend two lovely activities in your studio: making art and harvesting good memories from old family photos. It makes me appreciate the sweet life I live now – with my artist’s-brain, working-hands and a fully-awake heart.

Do you use family photos in your artwork?

Thanks for visiting today and I’ll see you in the next post!

P.S. You can subscribe to get each post as an email by signing up here.

However mean your life is, meet it and live it; do not shun it and call it hard names. It is not so bad as you are. It looks poorest when you are richest. The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its door as early in the spring. I do not see but a quiet mind may live as contentedly there, and have as cheering thoughts, as in a palace.

~Henry David Thoreau

23 Responses to Monotype: Winter Geraniums (when art is inspired by family photos)

1. Maywyn September 27, 2017 at 3:52 am #

Stunning print, the light and colors of the subjects are so beautiful, I can’t help but smile and feel a sense of family, friends, good conversations.

• Belinda DelPesco September 28, 2017 at 7:52 am #

Thank you, Maywyn, I’m glad you can imagine family and conversations in that room. That’s exactly what I thought about while creating it. You must like the same kind of quiet spaces as me. 🙂

2. Anne September 26, 2017 at 10:26 am #

Such a bright and welcome wit. Thanks. Not a bad mono print, either 😉

3. Bonnie Rinier September 24, 2017 at 6:39 pm #

A wonderful story as usual, and a wonderful Mono type as well! Yes, I myself have also painted a few memories from old photographs. Painting family memories is truly a joyous thing to do.

• Belinda DelPesco September 28, 2017 at 7:54 am #

Hi Bonnie, I’m not surprised that you’ve painted from family photos, because pets are in that category too, right? 🙂 And it really is full of joy. Thanks for the compliment.

4. Dana Richards September 24, 2017 at 8:46 am #

Your technique resulted in a piece that evokes the history & times of your beloved subject. Beautifully rendered.

• Belinda DelPesco September 28, 2017 at 7:55 am #

Thanks for you comment, Dana. Happy art-making with good memories to you too. 🙂

5. Mary September 24, 2017 at 8:23 am #

As usual, beautiful and thought provoking…. thanks for the HDT too!

• Belinda DelPesco September 28, 2017 at 7:58 am #

Hi Mary, Thanks for the visit, and the encouragement. And we can all thank HDT for taking the time to document his wise words. Here’s to Life; Meeting it and Living it!

6. Cristiane Marino September 23, 2017 at 12:08 pm #

Wow Belinda! Gorgeous!

7. Kathleen Noble October 17, 2015 at 3:36 pm #

Hope you will consider writing an illustrated memoir – you are an excellent artist and author, and I’m sure you have many more rich recollections and ruminations to share.

• Belinda DelPesco October 19, 2015 at 3:47 pm #

Hi Kathleen, Thanks for that generous compliment. I have no plans for a memoir, but I’ll take your encouragement, gladly, and apply it to writing here. I’m emboldened to know my ramblings aren’t altogether featureless & too tiresome to read. 🙂

8. Marilyn Thuss October 17, 2015 at 6:57 am #

Love this painting! Love the idea…..I have plenty of old photos…..I shall dig in and expand my art making. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Belinda DelPesco October 19, 2015 at 3:42 pm #

Hi Marilyn, Oh Good, I’m glad you’re going to give it a try! I hope you post them somewhere so we can all cheer you on!

9. seamustheone October 15, 2015 at 12:17 pm #

What a marvellously evocative piece – truly magnificent

• Belinda DelPesco October 16, 2015 at 4:08 pm #

Thanks so much for that, seamustheone. 🙂 Happy art making to you.

1. Watercolor Sketches: Sun Porch Saturday - Belinda Del Pesco - July 17, 2018

[…] home town a few years ago, and the sun porch was my favorite room. My grandparent’s house had a sun porch the length of the house, and my brothers and I spent many hours sprawled on the braided rag rugs, […]

2. Watercolor Sketching: Kitchen at Chateau Renard and painting from travel photos - Belinda Del Pesco - June 15, 2018

[…] hours by painting and drawing from your photos, especially if you’re in a bit of a slump. They don’t have to be stellar photos – as long as they remind you of your travel experiences. Our job as creative folk is more […]

3. Watercolor: Copper Mine and artistic influence from your family tree - Belinda Del Pesco - June 11, 2018

[…] paternal grandparent’s were Italian immigrants, and their New England home was lined with dark, wide plank, knotty pine walls & floors, German hammered iron hinges and […]

4. Monotype: Monterey Retreat - Belinda Del Pesco - December 21, 2017

[…] Available in my Etsy Shop Process shots start at the bottom of this post.(You can also see these posts related to monotype printmaking.) […]

5. Watercolor - Nested (and my Patreon page) - Belinda Del Pesco - October 2, 2017

[…] In the last post, I encouraged working from family photos, and digging deep for inspiration in your own memories. When you’re inspired to create based on personal interactions with others, and you use another person’s name, likeness or references that make friends and family recognizable in the work, who owns the result of your documented efforts? Here is an examination of that question by Liana Finck, in a storyboard pictorial for your pondering pleasure. […]

C'mon, Write something.... we'll wax poetic about art & making things!