Watercolor: Aperture (& the San Diego Festival of the Arts)

Aperture11x1472

Aperture 11×14 watercolor (sold)

The San Diego Festival of the Arts on Waterfront park was lovely last week. We had a gray day to start on Saturday, but eventually, the sun came out along with the crowds, and I saw plenty of people strolling the lawn with paintings & sculpture under their arms.  I sold both watercolors and printmaking, so collectors were collecting, and many of the artists I spoke to were having a very good show. That’s always a hopeful sign to all artists who sell their work.

This is brief because the day after the art fair, I left for France, and I want to share images from the first week (I’m still here). Stay tuned for painting in the lavender fields of Provence in the next post. 🙂

IMG_3323

The view across the street from where the art festival was held in Waterfront Park.

IMG_3358

See all those white tents on the right – in front of city hall in San Diego? That was us; a grid of artists exhibiting goods by the pacific ocean. Not a bad weekend at all.

IMG_3362

The sunset on a cloudy day in San Diego – nature’s watercolor painting – or maybe woodblock printing?

IMG_3393

Sunshine at an art festival on the Pacific coast, with boats moored in the harbor and Point Loma in the background.

IMG_3402

Downtown San Diego with green-glass buildings. The apartments here have spectacular views of the city and the ocean, and the sunlight streaming through the rooms is incredible.

A year from now you may wish you had started today.

~Karen Lamb

8 Responses to Watercolor: Aperture (& the San Diego Festival of the Arts)

1. Maywyn June 22, 2016 at 3:56 pm #

Prayers for safe, fun and adventurous travels!

2. gaelle1947 June 22, 2016 at 12:36 pm #

LOVE that painting! There’s something about the morning or late afternoon sun rays gliding across an interior scene that evokes in me a strong and soothing déjà vu sensation, an urge to enter the scene to relive that story or perhaps to enact a story that never was, but could have been…..It’s very much a nostalgic but bitter sweet sensation, a heightened awareness of the passing of time. I wonder if other viewers have a similar reaction??? I’m anxiously awaiting your news from Provence! OMG: slanting sunlight in a french interior…..don’t know if my heart can take that! LOL

3. Bonnie Rinier June 22, 2016 at 12:19 pm #

So glad you and others at the art show had a good show. Always good to hear that!

4. Margaret June 22, 2016 at 12:10 pm #

Beautiful photos of San Diego, and I always enjoy your Art, I so miss doing the shows in the U S, look forward to seeing new work when you get back, enjoy France

5. Janet Catmull June 22, 2016 at 12:03 pm #

Those San Diego skies! Gorgeous! Enjoy your stay in France. Can’t wait to see the photos and art!

6. Skeep June 22, 2016 at 12:47 am #

San Diego is fantastic and I so agree about the light which streams through those transparent glass walled apartments! The light in Provence is unforgettable as well. Enjoy the stay..am sure it will inspire your works further.

1. Tips for Supplies - Travel Watercolors - and the cafe Les Terrasses du Bassin - Belinda Del Pesco - September 19, 2017

[…] tested light-weight, small watercolor sets to cajole my affinity for art-making on airplanes, in hotel rooms, on sailboats, and in gardens. Are you thinking about drawing or painting on an upcoming trip? […]