Linocut: Pippins & Braeburns (& Hilary Paynter’s wood engravings)

Pippins14.20.5.25x3.2572

Pippins & Braeburns 5.25×3.25 Linocut (available here)

I’ve been framing small linocut prints to take to the San Diego Artwalk this weekend. I usually meet young people interested in art, but not yet fluent enough financially to be art collectors. Printmaking in small editions is a lower price-point than one of a kind paintings, so little prints are often the first original art a budding collector will buy, and I’m always thrilled to be part of another art-lover’s emergence into the exciting first chapter of lining the nest with beautiful, original art. I know the thrill of finding something you really just have to display in your home.

braeburnspipslinocutprocess

Rolling ink on a slab of glass and printing linocuts at the kitchen table

Exhibiting small prints (and showing some of the plates and process) also increases the possibility of sparking a little interest in printmaking, and if you’ve perused this blog over the past 10 years, you know I’m an enthused Try-It! evangelist of anything related to printmaking. Its incredibly satisfying to return to an art festival, and find someone excited to tell you that last year’s festival inspired them to take a printmaking workshop, and now they’re making prints and sharing methods with their friends and family. In San Diego this weekend, I’ll have another chance to add to an art lover’s collection, and maybe influence a budding artists’ adventures into this versatile, rewarding medium. Lucky, lucky me.????

linocut-with-watercolor

Ink is dry, so it’s time for some color…

IMG_2947

All framed up, nice-nice and ready for a wall in the kitchen….

printmaking-art

Framing small printmaking – the sprawl takes over every surface in the house. There are 62 pieces of original art in my road case. Off I go!

This is a beautiful video about Hilary Paynter and her process for Wood Engraving…. her thoughts on process, and her approach to sketching her design loose and unfinished so she can work out the challenges while she carves is brave and inspiring. Have a look….

Hilary Paynter – Wood Engraving from Alan Fentiman on Vimeo.

You can’t trust your talent. I have taught school for a very long time, and I never met a student who was untalented. Talent is as common as house dust and kudzu vine in Alabama and just about as valuable as teats on a boar. Nothing is as valuable as the habit of work, and work must become a habit. Or, as Blake said “Execution is the chariot of genius.”
~ Master Printmaker, Barry Moser

10 Responses to Linocut: Pippins & Braeburns (& Hilary Paynter’s wood engravings)

1. Peter Hinton May 1, 2016 at 4:30 pm #

Hi Belinda, I always love your art but wanted to ask: What paper do you use for your hand coloured lino prints? WC paper or printing paper, and does it make a difference? Keep up the great art! Many thanks Peter

• Belinda DelPesco May 2, 2016 at 7:04 pm #

Hi Peter, I use printmaking paper, since (so far) the watercolor paper I’ve tried hasn’t worked for getting a clean print. If I know I’m going to paint a print for sure, my favorite printmaking paper is Arches Cover in bright white. Give that a try and tell me what you think! Thanks for the encouragement. 🙂

2. kimminichiello April 30, 2016 at 11:00 am #

Enjoyed Hilary’s video thanks for sharing, break a leg this weekend!

• Belinda DelPesco May 2, 2016 at 7:06 pm #

Thanks for the visit, Kim! I’m glad you liked the video. Happy painting, my friend!

3. Louise April 29, 2016 at 7:58 pm #

Belinda, All best with your upcoming shows. When things are quieter for you would you perhaps consider posting a short tutorial on matting and framing?

• Belinda DelPesco May 2, 2016 at 7:07 pm #

Hi Louise, Thanks for the good wishes. ANd sure, Id be happy to do a tutorial on matting & framing. Tell me which parts of the process you want to learn about. 🙂

• Louise May 3, 2016 at 2:24 pm #

For me, the basics would be great. Learning how to hinge the print and what kind of tape to use would be helpful. Do you plan ahead so your small art pieces fit standard-size frames (and mats)? Do you cut your own mats or use purchased? Have you had success with a simple type of presentation that perhaps doesn’t require glass? Such as adhering a small print to a wood or canvas panel? I use the Akua inks, too, and love them but they don’t ever completely “set”. If I were to rub my finger over a completely dry print I can often still lift up a tiny smudge of colour. For small prints, it would be nice sometimes to get away from using glass.

Thanks in advance. You make the best tutorials! Cheers, Louise

• Belinda DelPesco May 4, 2016 at 3:30 pm #

Thanks for the compliments and the specifics, Louise! I’m taking notes! 🙂

4. Margaret April 29, 2016 at 12:05 pm #

Hi Belinda I have been watching your Art demos for a long time, and enjoy everyone, I to am a watercolorist & printmaker, I have a question when framing your small prints for a show what price do you charge for them I live in western Canada I know prices will be some what different but a general Idea would help.
    love your work.

• Belinda DelPesco May 2, 2016 at 7:12 pm #

Hi Margaret, Thanks for your visit and your compliments. All the prices for my work are posted in my Esty shop, so have a look there to get a ball park. But I also think its a good idea to research. Pricing prints has a lot of wiggle room because many factors are included in the calculations: What is your hourly rate? What size is the edition? Is there additional media applied to the print? Is it framed? What is the size? What was the cost of your materials? There are hundreds of discussions online with all sorts of formulas to try out there, so check those essays out, and make yourself a chart. It will take all the guesswork out of the process. 🙂