Trace Monotype: All in Green (& LinkLove videos on printmaking)

allingreen72

All in Green 5×4.5 Trace Monotype with watercolor (sold)

I’ve been writing about and filming trace monotypes, so here’s another one (above) from my archives. The process is simple and the mark-making is lovely. Here’s a little #linklove featuring a variety of printmakers’ videos on the subject:

• This is a nice, clear step by step intro to the trace monotype process by School of Yule.

• And this one, by a channel called Crafty Birdie is simple, and the end result is adorable.

• Here’s a trace monotype drawing of a hampster, done loose and sketchy. (Don’t you need to make a portrait of your pet?)

• Not trace monotype, but here’s a bonus: Bridget Farmer does beautiful linocuts of birds as stand alone prints, and as hand-printed bamboo wood mobiles. You can watch examples on her channel, and see one of the most recent magpie project videos at the bottom of this post.

IMG_5884

Pulling a trace monotype portrait of an adolescent boy on thin, kozo paper

An artist asked me recently why I bother to write a blog. I spilled an avalanche of reasons, but on the fly, my answer wasn’t very organized and I’m afraid I wasn’t as articulate (read: convincing) as I would have liked. Later, I searched the net for an article to nudge my brain into neater categories on the subject, and this one by Hubspot covered a wide swath of very practical reasons for blogging as part of your business. Have a look. As an artisan, do you blog? Do you find it beneficial to your business, or your practice as a maker in your studio? What about socially? Or as an exercise in expressing yourself?

Video by Printmaker Bridget Farmer showing how she hand-prints her bamboo Magpie mobile with linocut
In order to be open to creativity, one must have the capacity for constructive use of solitude. One must overcome the fear of being alone.
~Rollo May

8 Responses to Trace Monotype: All in Green (& LinkLove videos on printmaking)

1. Cindy fletcher March 15, 2016 at 10:27 pm #

This is spectacular! You bridge printmaking, painting and drawing so fluidly – you are charting new territory, and I am pleased to witness your unique style as it blossoms!

• Belinda DelPesco March 16, 2016 at 8:35 am #

Hello there my friend! Thanks for that very kind compliment. One of these days, I hope we’re both exhibiting work at the same venue so we can catch up face to face. xo 🙂

2. faye harwell March 15, 2016 at 1:30 pm #

I love your blog…thank you for sharing your knowledge. I’ve learned so much. You
    are appreciated!

• Belinda DelPesco March 16, 2016 at 8:33 am #

Well, thank you very much, Faye! YOU are appreciated too! I’m grateful for your encouragement and feedback! Happy art-making to you!

3. Ellen Bennett March 15, 2016 at 5:05 am #

Well said Louise. I couldn’t put it any better. BTW, love the trace monotype in your blog of the young woman. Thank you so much for imparting your knowledge and expertise.

• Belinda DelPesco March 15, 2016 at 8:41 am #

Thanks very much, Ellen. I appreciate the feedback. The reference for the young woman was a vintage photo for the late 1940’s from our family album. So fun! Happy art making!

4. Louise March 14, 2016 at 5:10 pm #

Whatever your reasons for writing a blog, it’s so fortunate that you do! Please don’t stop! Your tutorials are informative and inspiring and your musings thought-provoking. You give so generously and I trust all the wonderful energy you send out circles back and graces your artistic life.

• Belinda DelPesco March 15, 2016 at 8:39 am #

Wow, Louise, that was a whole sun shower of compliments! Thanks so much! I’m so glad you find my musings useful! Happy art making to you!