Watercolor: East Coast Cottage (& a watercolor tutorial video)

After many requests for a full-length, non-speed painting tutorial in watercolor, I posted one this week (if you don’t see the video window below, you can watch it directly in my youtube channel here). It’s a bit over 40 minutes, and I’ve narrated the process from start to finish. I hope it’s helpful to all the folks who expressed how much they hate speed-painting demo videos. 🙂 And for the folks who prefer the hypnotic pace of 4 minute speed-painting video, I’ll be posting one from this same demo later in the week. Two versions; I hope they’re both helpful. 🙂

paintinghouses

Painting from a black & white cell phone snapshot sent by a friend who knew I’d love this little cottage for it’s quintessential New England style.

I’ll be showing watercolors and printmaking this weekend (and next) here in Los Angeles. If you’re in the area, please visit – I’d love to say hello and catch up;
Saturday, October 10 – 11-5:00pm – Pasadena Artwalk

www.playhousedistrict.org

Saturday, October 17 – 9:30-5:00pm – Art on Palm

www.artonpalm.com

P.S.

Did you see this great article from the Scientific American blog about the forgotten benefits of drawing?

Over a century ago, the ability to draw was a necessity. No cameras, printers, copiers, or online images – if you wanted to convey information visually, you had to do it yourself.

Drawing lessons were standard in school curricula. Teachers had to pass tests in essential subjects like arithmetic, history, and… drawing. College students studying biology were required to take a daily drawing class their freshman year. Why? To “learn to observe”. (read the rest of this thought-provoking article here.)

Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful, and you will accomplish your objective. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 Responses to Watercolor: East Coast Cottage (& a watercolor tutorial video)

1. Tina October 26, 2015 at 1:48 pm #

Hi Belinda, It was interesting to see a long version versus the short ones. I found it helpful to watch you mix colors and talk about the pigments you choose for different stages of the painting. Color lifting was helpful to watch. Also, your choices about when to leave the paint alone versus retouching. Thanks!

2. Gayle October 13, 2015 at 6:46 pm #

Just in case some viewers are not aware of this YouTube feature: if you click on the black frame around the video, the bottom part, you will see a little cogwheel. Click on this and it will bring up a little box where you will see “speed”. Click on it and you can select to slow down the video to either half (.5) or quarter (.25) time. Very useful to view sped up demos. This setting will revert back to “normal” when you exit the video.
    This was a super demo. Thank you so much!

• Belinda DelPesco October 15, 2015 at 7:55 am #

Hi Gayle, Thanks so much for taking the time to lay out the instructions. I’m working on a video tutorial that goes over all the options for operating youtube – especially for watching art demos and tutorials, and this function is definitely included. Thanks for adding the details here! And thanks for the compliments!

3. Christine Watts October 7, 2015 at 4:41 pm #

I really enjoyed your full-length video–East Coast Cottage. You impart a wealth of knowledge this way that you, the instructor aren’t even aware of. Thank you so much.

4. May October 5, 2015 at 12:34 pm #

“Slow down, Focus in” Love it! Good words to remember. Thank you for another Great video!

• Belinda DelPesco October 5, 2015 at 2:36 pm #

Hi May! Yes, Slow Down & Focus In – not as easy as it sounds in our hurried world, eh? I struggle with that one every day! Thanks for stopping by!

5. lvetopaint08 October 5, 2015 at 10:32 am #

Thank you for these videos. Each one is a workshop with a great teacher!