Watercolor: Good at This (& pics from Valencia Fine Art Festival)

Good at This 7.5 x 10 Watercolor on paper
This is Scout, one of my studio assistants. He and Lucy (bottom photo in this post) do a comprehensive job of fur distribution on everything I own. When they aren’t slacking off and napping, they purr a lot as an accompaniment to the music I listen to when I’m painting. With a mew & a head butt to my ankle, they let me know it’s time to put the brush down, step away from the easel and squint at the art during Cat Massage Breaks. They also model for me a lot. They’re mighty fine company. 🙂

The watercolor of Scout was started at the Valencia Fine Art Festival last weekend; he’s on the easel in the late afternoon Saturday sunlight below (photo courtesy of my friend Susan).

When I came home & unpacked from the festival Sunday night, I sank into the couch like a bag of apples, and reflected on the last two months of exhibits & festivals. So many wonderful friends and family have come to these events. In eight weeks, I’ve hugged and laughed and talked with people I haven’t seen in years. My voice was hoarse all day Monday – from meeting tons of art enthusiasts, catching up with my peeps, and talking with other artists about methods, materials and art events.

There’s one more event on my schedule this Spring: the Thousand Oaks Artwalk is June 4 & 5th, so if you’re in the area, come out for some kettle corn, music and art.

Art Festivals and Exhibits are the opposite end of the spectrum from the quiet time of painting in the studio for weeks. They’re a lot of work, but I’m *so* fortunate to have these venues for the feedback on my work, the camaraderie with other artists, and the opportunity to meet new friends who love art. I get to visit with good people in a little window of time in Spring when everything is blooming and full with the anticipation of summer. Thanks to everyone who came out to say hello last weekend. I really appreciate it.

Working on the painting – Good at This – at the Valencia Fine Art Festival

My pal Laura Wambsgans and I shared a booth and set our easels up on either side to paint during the festival.

Our booth was against a beautiful Koi Pond with purple water lilies and a cute resident turtle who kept little kids fascinated every time he poked his red-striped head out of the water.

My friends Dan & Marty stopped by to say hello and went home with a little graphite drawing.

The first thing John Edwin Noble does when painting a watercolor is to run a wash all over the paper so as to arrive at once at the general tone and colour effect of the subject; and then he goes straight ahead without ever allowing the work to get quite dry, adding blots of pure color here and there as may be necessary, and gradually bringing the whole scheme properly together. He hardly ever paints up to full pitch at once, but reaches it, not y successive washes, but rather by adding more and more color to the first wash while it remains wet. As the picture progresses he allows it to become less wet, and he reserves the final details to the very last; and sometimes these details are afterwards partially wiped off with a brush so as to give a sufficient suggestion of small work without any interference with the general breadth of the painting. With a brush too, the lights are lifted out where necessary. FInally the work is allowed to dry and the edges are cleaned up and any loss of drawing is corrected; but even then it may be put under a tap or in a bath and have more color added to it if the artist does not feel that he has reached the full effect that he desired. ~A.L. Baldry The Practic of water-colour Painting, 1911

13 Responses to Watercolor: Good at This (& pics from Valencia Fine Art Festival)

1. Robyn May 30, 2011 at 10:37 pm #

Just spotted this one. Gorgeous. How on earth you paint with people watching I’ll never know. Also loved your recent recap on collographs – fantastic instructions.

2. Anonymous May 29, 2011 at 11:32 am #

bautifully done cat.

Annie v.

3. Susan L. Belisle May 29, 2011 at 11:06 am #

Wow, came out great! Was fun to see the early stage of the painting in person and the finished portrait. Good stuff..

4. Dan Kent May 29, 2011 at 7:35 am #

Atmospheric. Meditative. So well done. I loved your Art Quote. Fascinating, really, since I think you work in precisely the opposite way, utilizing mostly dry brush, I think.

I actually got out of the house yesterday to go to an art class (my first in years) and allowed myself to go all washy – more than usual – on a bigger area than I usually work (it isn’t hard for me to get bigger – lol). I thought I had worked wet before but was really astounded at the spread and the vividness of it all.

Your festivals look wonderful, and the area, beautiful – over there on the other coast.

5. Tahirih May 27, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

Lovely kitty! It’s almost photographic, but better. You’re so lucky to have the Art Fairs for a venue. I wish I had something…but I have to drive five hours just to get out of the wilderness, and then I’m only in central British Columbia with another six hours to go…sigh…Your booth looks amazing, and congratulations on your sales.

6. John Brisson May 27, 2011 at 11:01 am #

Great, great painting!

7. Marian Fortunati May 27, 2011 at 5:44 am #

What a gorgeous painting Belinda!!!
    So your cats vie with one another to see who gets the most recent portrait????
    Laura told me that the festival went well. I hope it continues to build momentum!
    It was great seeing you last night at the reception…. So fun to put real faces to the names and events we share.

8. Robin May 26, 2011 at 9:38 pm #

Wow, I half expected Scout to meow! Awesome catch of his personality and spirit! xo

9. Studio at the Farm May 26, 2011 at 7:32 pm #

Beautiful painting of Scout. And I agree with Lucy; she MUST be painted next.

10. Laurel Daniel May 26, 2011 at 6:23 pm #

Sounds fun – and you look like you are having a blast. I BET you sank into the couch like a bag of apples!!! 🙂 Congrats on a great season!!!!

11. Carol May 26, 2011 at 11:52 am #

He looks like my Buster, but Buster is 20 lbs of kitty!
    Wonderful painting!

12. Sue Pownall May 26, 2011 at 9:56 am #

This is a beautiful painting. I like his expression.

The fair was in a beautiful spot, I think I would have been sketching the pond if I had been there.

Good luck with the next one.

1. Watercolor: Lucy Signals Catwoman (& an Art Supply Giveaway) | Belinda DelPesco - January 30, 2015

[…] Signals Catwoman 21×30 Watercolor on paperSoldSince my studio assistant Scout took center stage in the last post, it’s only fair to let Lucy have a turn. (She insisted.) […]