Collagraph & Watercolor: Morocco

Morocco, 4.7 x 6.8 Collograph & Watercolor
Available on Ebay.
Using kid-grade construction paper, matboard & gloss medium varnish to build the plate.After coating the plate with a thin layer of oil based etching ink (Daniel Smith), I’ve wiped most of the ink off with tarlatan cloth. Master printmaker Jim Lorigan shared this tip: after wiping the plate with the tarlatan, wrap the cloth with one sheet of thin newsprint or a phone book page to create a baren. It works great for buffing textures on the flat planes of the plate.Pulling the first print off the plate after going through the press.
The print next to the plate.Adding watercolor to the print.

11 Responses to Collagraph & Watercolor: Morocco

1. Erik October 1, 2008 at 7:24 am #

Nice work… 🙂

Especially nice to see the stages of development of your works as well…

Greetz,
    Erik

2. Anonymous November 28, 2006 at 4:58 am #

THanks you !! I made my first collograph but used water based oil paint (it was all I had lying around!) Now I know what to get.

3. Anonymous November 27, 2006 at 5:52 am #

I love this method and really want to try my hand at it. A few questions though. After laying down the construction paper you coat with varnish. When did you apply the floor and other textures? and how? It looks like you sorta carved into the layer of varnish.

Nice work as usual!

4. Anonymous November 26, 2006 at 7:07 am #

Belinda, I’m fascinated by the collograph process! It looks like the collages that you use for the prints are pieces of artwork themselves, though. 🙂
    If you use a good quality varnish, are you able to use the collage multiple times to get a print?

Your blog is not only a thing of beauty, it always inspires me to try something new. I love the step-by-steps — they are so valuable to those of us who are still learning. Thanks for spending the time to show us this process!

5. Toni November 25, 2006 at 5:30 am #

Awesome. Thank you so much for all your little demos here. You sure have peaked my interest in making monotypes and other printing methods.

6. Anonymous November 25, 2006 at 4:53 am #

Kid grade? KID GRADE???

You’ve restorted to slaughtering baby goats?

Maybe it’s for art’s sake, but to my mind, it smells of a cheap attempt to provoke a PETA action, purely to generate publicity.

7. Katherine November 24, 2006 at 3:13 am #

Very very nice Belinda – and another great demo!

If one doesn’t have access to a printing press is there an acceptable substitute?

8. Anonymous November 23, 2006 at 8:08 am #

This is stunning, Belinda. All your coolographs have just been wonderful and, again, I appreciate the step-by-step photos; thanks!

9. Kris Shanks November 22, 2006 at 10:49 pm #

The collograph prints have been lovely, and it looks like you’re having so much fun with the process. I love the textures!

10. Ellen Shipley November 22, 2006 at 10:10 pm #

Oh Belinda,

The floor tiles are gorgeous! 8-]

11. Janet November 22, 2006 at 8:57 pm #

Oh, that came out SO GOOD!!!!