Jan

Watercolor Washes: Mexican Breakfast

This watercolor is based on a photo of breakfast after a whirlwind trip to Mexico City. We set the table with our newly acquired, hand thrown pottery, crooked bowls, a ribbed tea pot and folklore figurines in the early morning sun. I’ve drawn, painted and carved woodcuts of different angles from this scene, and I love the bands of light and shadow around the place settings & across the table.

In this version, after drawing the composition with pencil, I added light washes in layers, one over the other, until the values were right. The cat on the sill & the small mask hanging near the cactus were added as an after thought, while I was laying in the background.

Mexican Breakfast 15 x 21 watercolor on paper
Sold

15 Responses to Watercolor Washes: Mexican Breakfast

1. swee 05/03/2007 at 4:41 pm #

belinda, this is beautiful. love the light streaming in across the table. good work.

2. Rrramone 04/03/2006 at 3:46 am #

Belinda, beautiful work!

3. "Maggie" 03/01/2006 at 4:32 pm #

I am constantly blown away by your amazing watercolors! I enjoy so much as you show your progression from one stage to another. Pure eye candy!

4. orion713 02/25/2006 at 2:42 am #

Wow this is such an amazing painting!

5. ~~*@/*~~ 02/03/2006 at 6:58 am #

i am in complete and utter awe. your mastery of watercolour is what i aspire to!

6. Terri 01/30/2006 at 4:08 pm #

I really can’t get over the depth of colour you manage to create but each piece still looks delicate and not over worked. These are truly wonderful.

7. Francesca 01/30/2006 at 5:56 am #

Wow what a beautiful painting with such vibrancy and such perfect light! And it’s great to see a step by step, the process of creating is so fascinating.

8. orangefrute88 01/29/2006 at 5:50 pm #

yeah…. belinda, write a book!!! pleasepleaseplease! i just read every word of every post and i have learned so much already!!! not that this means i can do it all… wow! wonderful, informative blog with, naturally, the most beautiful artwork 🙂

9. Linda 01/29/2006 at 4:48 pm #

Belinda, this is beautiful. Please tell us, what is the trick to doing such detailed watercolor without making it look like a coloring book? If you do another like this, would you consider doing a more in-depth step-by-step for those of us who are learning? AND, if you should ever write a book on the subject, would you please let me know so I can be the first to buy it? Seriously! I love loose watercolor for my sketchbook, but I really want to be able to paint like this!

10. hfm 01/28/2006 at 5:14 pm #

Look great!

11. Jeff Hayes 01/27/2006 at 8:22 pm #

Hi Belinda,

That’s really a beautiful sense of light. You mentioned you were in Mexico City – did you do any painting there?

12. Laurent Peters 01/26/2006 at 1:53 pm #

Wonderfull!

13. Diahn 01/25/2006 at 10:41 am #

Gorgeous, Belinda!! You’ve achieved great depth of color in this piece – something that’s not easy in a watercolor!! I love the composition – the diagonal lines of the sunlight really draw your eye through the painting!

14. Lin 01/25/2006 at 5:01 am #

SIMPLY INCREDIBLY AWESOME!! I love how you’ve shared the steps and process — your colors are always so vibrant and alive … lOVE IT!

15. Hashi 01/24/2006 at 10:37 pm #

::: sigh::: this is so beautiful. I have so much to learn! Thank you for sharing your outstanding art.