Nov

Five More Minutes – Monotype & Watercolor

This is a 4.5 x 6 inch monotype ghost print & watercolor titled “Five More Minutes”. A few people have asked about the process, so I’m posting more details here.

Monotypes can be created with any medium that will transfer from a smooth plate to a sheet of paper. You paint on a plate, and press the wet painting against a sheet of paper, either by using a press, or by hand with a brayer, or a baren, etc. There are lots of mediums to try…. oil paints, etching or relief inks, water soluble crayons, etc.

In this piece, I rolled black etching ink onto a smooth zinc plate with a rubber brayer. This shows a reference sketch, and the plate after I moved and pushed and wiped the ink around to make my sleeping figure.

After rolling the plate through the press against a sheet of BFK Rives printmaking paper (below), I’m pulling the print off the plate (on the press bed). The image will print in reverse of what’s on the plate.

The photo on the left shows the print, next to the plate I pulled it from. Notice there are still faint remnants of ink on the plate. When you have enough ink left over to press a second sheet of paper against the plate, it’s called a ghost print. Ghosts are my favorite monotypes, because they’re such a soft, perfect under-painting for a watercolor. After I printed the ghost of “Five More Minutes”, I washed the plate clean of any remaining ink, and made something else. There are no permanent marks on the plate, so with a monotype, you’ll usually create one print and one ghost of your painting.

The image at the top of this post is the ghost print, with watercolor painted on top of the ink.

There’s more work like this, with process shots, through out this blog. Enjoy!

The topic for Illustration Friday on Feb 9, 2007 is Crash. (She’s crashed, all right.)

15 Responses to Five More Minutes – Monotype & Watercolor

1. amy 02/13/2007 at 8:44 am #

I love your work! Thank you so much for sharing your process. I was really into printmaking in college, but we never did monotypes. I think I’ll have to try this a little bit. I like the feeling that the ghost print gave to the paint on top of it!

Again, I love your work!

2. Brine Blank 02/11/2007 at 7:11 pm #

very very very nice…I think one of my favorite classes in college was printmaking. I really thought I would latch on to intaglio but monoprints ended up being my favorites…

3. Liz Jones 02/11/2007 at 4:11 pm #

Oh– this is my favorite kind of crashing! I love monoprints, and I’d never heard of ghost prints– very cool! Thanks for sharing your process!

4. the enigma 02/10/2007 at 7:07 pm #

wow! great work. thanks 4 sharing!

5. Kayleen West.- Stewart 02/10/2007 at 1:43 am #

Lovely work.

6. Pati @-;-- 02/09/2007 at 3:43 pm #

Very impressive, Belinda. I love monotypes, too. Yours are gorgeous!

7. neilornstein 02/09/2007 at 2:54 pm #

lovely work

8. bookyeti 02/09/2007 at 10:32 am #

very nice work!

9. June Parrish Cookson 08/27/2006 at 6:33 pm #

Hi Belinda, This piece is stunning. I love the shadow under the women’s chin, the purples and greens. It stirs me to want to try my hand at monoprinting. Whenever I find the time, I’m going to attempt it and see what may come. You’re work is amazing!

10. Sal 02/01/2006 at 10:43 am #

Oh I enjoyed the process here SO much. I’m going to have to have a go! I’ve donbe other printing before but never monoprinting….

You have a great talent! Thanks for sharing it.

I’m going to link you to my blog if that’s okay!

11. Shawn Escott 01/30/2006 at 7:19 pm #

Awesome! I’d love to try this.

12. Diahn 12/06/2005 at 10:21 am #

Beautiful! Love all the info, too – this is something I’ve always wanted to try!

13. Alina Chau 12/04/2005 at 10:36 pm #

Your works are amazing!

14. Virginia Valle 12/03/2005 at 7:43 pm #

Beautiful Belinda, you are so kind sharing your techniques ;). Tomorrow I will add your link on my links!!

15. Lauralyn 11/29/2005 at 12:01 am #

I love this one too! Five More Minutes, the story of my life as I am once again up at 1 a.m. looking at art blogs when I have to be at work tomorrow. But I had to comment on this – as all of your work – love it.
    Thanks too for posting your methods. I am beginning to understand more. When you put the ink on the plate for this, did you have a sketch that you worked from or did you just create it on the plate? Am I correct in working with the ink on the plate in this manner is like reverse or subtractive method of drawing where you have the charcoal or graphite and then use your eraser to “draw”.